I have a friend from Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, who frequently informs me of events in eastern Ukraine and specifically Donetsk, which I do not find myself on western media outlets. So I thought I would create a post I will continuously update with information regarding the insurgency/civil war in eastern Ukraine. I have no sources for this information however; they come from his and his friends’ observations. My apologies for the lack of verification.
Published – 16/06/2014
- Man who looked like leader of pro-Russians and drove the same kind of car was assassinated outside of a restaurant.
- Two cars speeding through Donetsk shooting at one another.
- Bus stopped and passengers held hostage for use as human shields by pro-Russian militia.
- Car bomb in city centre of Donetsk.
Update – 19/06/2014
1. Banks being occupied by pro-Russians.
2. People’s houses being occupied if people leave them unattended by pro-Russian squatters.
3. People being stopped on the streets and forced into doing jobs for the pro-Russians.
Update – 03/07/2014
1. Shopping centre in central Donetsk city hit in some kind of bombing as pro-Russians attempt to attack the Donbass Central Police Headquarters, located nearby.
2. Train travelling between Donetsk and Kharkiv bombed.
Update – 08/07/14
1. As the rebels retreat into Donetsk, they are forcing civilians in the city to take up arms, by threat of force.
I will add new information as I get it. Please be aware, some of this information may not be accurate…